© 2022 Winans Inc. All rights reserved. Better Homes and Gardens® and the Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Logo are registered services marks owned by Meredith Corporation and licensed to Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC. Winans Inc fully supports the principles of the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Opportunity Act. Each franchise is independently owned and operated. Any services or products provided by independently owned and operated franchises are not provided by, affiliated with or related to Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC nor any of its affiliated companies.
TREC Consumer Protection Notice | TREC Information About Brokerage Services | Web Design by MODassic
A Porch Makeover in 5 Easy Steps
Beautiful sunsets, soft breezes, greeting the neighbors while you rock in your porch swing…you can enjoy all these pleasures and more from your front porch.
If you want to enjoy your outdoor spaces more, maybe it’s time for a little lift. Here are five easy ways to put the focus on your porch.
1. Every year Pantone, a global color authority, releases its list of top trends in color for the home. For 2010 the trends have gone toward neutrals- creamy whites and soothing beiges. Find a relaxing neutral and update your porch with a soothing new color on the floorboards, columns, shutters, front door, and trim.
Now, you may have to strip off old paint, or add a layer of Kilz primer, but your paint job will have the place looking brand new.
2. Next, refinish or replace your old porch furniture. Depending on the look you want to go for and how much space you have to share your porch with company, think about what functions you want your furniture to have and what scale these pieces need to be. Your furniture should suit your activities – whether you want to use the porch to read and nap, or entertain friends with cool summer drinks, or watch the children play while you relax.
3. Put some plants outside. Not only is it a quick, inexpensive way to add a splash of color, but plants naturally add both style and a sense of comfort to any environment, says onlinesuccesstips.com. And whether they’re hanging or potted, be sure that your plants are meant for your hardiness zone. You can do this by checking with your local nursery which plants will do well potted, whether the porch gets direct sun or shade, and how large the plants will grow.
4. Decorate for character. Each home has a personality, just like its owners. Search online or at the local flea market for treasures you can hang, set by a potted plant or use as a centerpiece for a garden table. Plus, what a great story you’ll have when you tell your friends how you found that wonderful set of chimes.
5. Lastly, when the sun is going down, but the fun is still buzzing, think about installing some new and appropriate lighting so you can keep up the camaraderie long into the night. This can be done with free standing lamps to built-in lights in a fan. And for some mood lighting, you can also make your porch a romantic haven with candles and soft music.
A porch is a lot like a perch – you can use it to enjoy your niche in the world, and it has the added benefit of adding more curb appeal to your home.